Why This Guide Exists¶
FreePBX is one of the lagest open source PBX systems in the world, with over 500,000 active users and more than 5,000,000 downloads to date.
With so many users, FreePBX has gained a lot of attention from hobbyists, system administrators, and even large enterprises as it allows the smallest (and largest) of companies to deploy a stable and feature-rich phone system at no cost.
As time has gone on, and the platform has become more and more advanced, developers have had a harder and harder time working on the platform as there are no FreePBX development guides that walk new developers through the basics needed to contribute to the project, as well as build their own FreePBX modules and services.
The purpose of this guide is to teach you:
- How to contribute code to the FreePBX project successfully.
- How to build your own FreePBX modules.
- Which style conventions you should use while writing code.
- What things you should avoid doing.
- Useful tips and tricks to make your life easier.
Over time, this guide will continue to be updated to reflect modern FreePBX practices, and will evolve alongside the project to ensure developers have an easy way to get started doing what they do best: hacking code.